To celebrate the beginning of Passover and all things wonderful and braised, chose to post a brisket recipe that has been in one family for over 30 years.
Reggie Griner of San Francisco shared her Bubbe’s brisket recipe with folks from Cooks Kitchen. When Bubbe grew up in Poland, brisket was placed in the oven on Friday night and braised until the Sabbath on Saturday night. Her recipe is both savory and sweet and came to be served every Passover celebrated in the United States.Bubbe’s Passover Brisket Serves 8-10 Ingredients:
1 (4-5 lbs) brisket, flat cut trimmed
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced 2 inches thick
2 onions, chopped
12 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
6 cups low sodium chicken broth, plus extra as needed
2 cups prunes
1 cup dried apricots
2 bay leaves
- Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and head oven to 350 degrees. Pat brisket dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat until just smoking. Brown brisket on both sides, 12-14 minutes; transfer to a large plate.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add carrots, onions, and sweet potatoes and cook until softened, 5-7 minutes. Stir in broth, prunes, apricots, and bay leaves and bring to a simmer.
- Nestle browned brisket, along with any accumulated juice, unto pot. (If necessary, add more broth to cover all but top of meat.) Bring to simmer, cover, and transfer to oven. Cook until brisket is tender and fork can be inserted into meat with little or no resistance, 3-4 hours, turning brisket every hour.
- Remove pot from oven and transfer brisket to large plate. Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes and remove fat from surface. Remove bay leaves. Return brisket to pot and let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours or up to 1 day.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Transfer brisket to carving board and slice against grain into 1/2 inch thick slices. Bring vegetables and sauce to simmer in pot over medium heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Shingle sliced brisket in 13 by 9 inch baking dish and pour warmed sauce over the top. Bake until meat is heated through, 10-20 min. Serve